Pets & Toxic Plants

It’s finally the time of year that we love; the time of year when it’s warm enough to play outside with our pets! As springtime arrives, everything is beginning to bloom and look beautiful once again.

While we’re enjoying the sunshine, playing ball with our pup, or watching our cat soak up some rays, it’s important to remember that though all of the colors and greenery look beautiful, many of them are poisonous to our furry friends.

Take some to familiarize yourself with the plants and flowers that are most toxic to your pet, that way you can do your best to keep them out of reach to prevent poisoning!

Plants that are toxic to cats and dogs

For an exhaustive list of plants that are or may be toxic to cats and dogs, click the following link from the ASPA:

Signs and symptoms of plant poisoning

Signs and symptoms may vary slightly depending on the type of plant that is ingested, however most symptoms fall under the same general categories.

Dogs: Vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling, loss of appetite, respiratory failure

Cats: Vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling, seizures, drop in heart rate, respiratory depression

What to do if you believe your pet has ingested a toxic plant

If your pet is showing any signs or symptoms of plant poisoning, it is important to receive veterinary help right away, whether that be an immediate phone call or an emergency clinic visit. If instructed by your veterinarian, you may induce vomiting, but again, this should not be done unless instructed. Rescue breathing may also have to be administered, depending on the severity of your pet’s poisoning.

Recent Posts